| or Call: (719) 636-3200

Tweet Me!

Transition Strips

Flooring Transitions and Transition Strips

Which Transition Strip to Choose

Please click the image for a larger view.  I included different images on the left and right so you can see different views to help you identify what transition you need.  If you need further help with choosing or installing a transition strip, please call the office at (719) 636-3200.

T-Mold Transition

The most common transition strip.  T-molds join two areas of wood flooring of the same height, usually in doorways or thresholds. It can also join wood to tile if the floors are near level.  Wood to Wood.  Wood to Tile.


Provides a smooth transition between floors of different heights and materials.  Flush Mount or Overlap.  Wood to Concrete.  Wood to Vinyl. 


With laminate flooring, you'll almost certainly be using an overlap stairnose.  With wood flooring, however, you might get the option of an overlap or flushmount stairnose. 

Universal Edges / Endcap / SquareNosing

The proper way to end wood flooring as it transitions to carpet.  Also, for engineered wood and laminate this will transition up to a sliding glass door.  Wood to wall.  Wood to carpet.    Universal Edge is also called a Square Nosing and is used where the laminate flooring butts up to carpeting, or various vertical surfaces where the edge will be exposed, such as along a fireplace.

quarter round
Quarter Round

Used as a trim piece along verical walls and the floor.  Along the base of cabinets if the wood or laminate does not go underneath cabinets.

qtr round
track piece
Universal, All in One (laminate only)

The new item for large manufacturers such as Mohawk, and Quickstep, is to use a multifunction transition piece.  This piece will come with a tool that allows you to cut the universal piece into several different options.  Easy to use.

track piece

Installers will identify which transition strips are needed and how many.  If you are installing the flooring yourself, however, please use the above guide to get started in determining what laminate transition piece or wood flooring transition strip you need.  Call with questions, or visit us at our Colorado Springs carpet and flooring showroom.

Alot of these images are universal, so wether you are using a solid wood, an engineered wood, or a laminate flooring, your transition strips will be very similar, often with only a slight difference.


  • EndCap
  • Reducer
  • T-mold
  • Stairnose
    • Flush Mount
    • Overlap

Flooring Transitions

  • Laminate Flooring
  • Wood Flooring

All in One, Multifunction, Incizo

Today, several manufacturers are using a multifunction transition piece.  This will a universal design that you cut (with tool provided) to the exact profile you need.

  • Quickstep
  • Mohawk

Which Transition to Use?

Please see the illustrations on the center of this page for a picture of the transition piece and their application.  If you still have questions, please let us know.

How Much Do Transition Pieces Cost?

average prices for laminate transitions:

  • stairnose averages 40$ to 65$ / piece
  • other transitions  $25 to $40 / piece

How Long Are Transition Strips?

The average length for both wood flooring transitions and laminate flooring transitions is 6' 6".

Do I have to use the track?

Although a lot of installers choose not to use the track, and some manufacturers do not include them, we DO recommend that you use them as per the instructions.  This will ensure you retain any warranties.