What you need to know to keep you area rugs looking new
How often should you vacuum an area rug?
At least once a week – though it doesn’t hurt to vacuum even more frequently! Regular vacuuming can actually have some positive health benefits!
Area rugs trap pollen particles and other airborne allergens and keep them locked in until you vacuum them up. Rugs can then be easily removed for cleaning. If you’ve chosen a rug made from natural fiber, such as jute or sisal, or synthetic fibers, it will also resist mold and mildew!
How do I clean up rug stains and spills?
Most stains caused by spills can be cleaned up in a few basic steps. All you need is a few clean, white cloths, liquid dish detergent, warm water and a little patience!
- Create a solution using the detergent and water. For every ¼ teaspoon of detergent you use, dilute it with 1 cup of warm water.
- Immediately scoop any solid part of the spill.
- Blot – never rub! – the affected area with your cloths to remove any excess moisture.
- If the spill is large, use a wet/dry vacuum.
- Apply your warm water & detergent solution using the cloth and let soak for 5 minutes.
- Rinse with clear, warm water.
- Continue to blot until you no longer see stain being picked up by the cloths.
- Blot with dry cloths to remove all remaining moisture, then vacuum or brush the rug to restore its texture.
If, after you’ve completed all 7 steps, the stain reappears, it may be because some part of the stain remained deep in the pile of the rug – or even in the pad – and has wicked up to the surface. Repeat step 4 – 7.
I have kids and/or pets – what’s the best rug for me?
It’s a fact of life – kids and pets make messes! Don’t let that keep you from bringing home an area rug – just choose one that’s easier to clean. Wool is a great fiber choice if you’re trying to stay natural, but there are also a variety of synthetic rug fibers that come with built-in stain resistance. We also recommend choosing a multi-colored or patterned rug – these will better hide any stains that inevitably occur!
Have additional questions about area rugs? Never fear – the experts here at IQ Floors are happy to help. Come hang out with us at our Colorado Springs showroom and get your questions answered!